Thursday, December 30, 2010

TOP 3 ALBUMS OF 2010: #3-1

Is your body ready?







3. Owen Pallett - Heartland

Heartland is a concept album about an extremely violent farmer named Louis who goes around following the commands of the narrator, Owen Pallett. It's his best work to date and very different from Has a Good Home and He Poos Clouds and uses drum machines and small symphony groups. Despite its fairly experimental nature, it's poppy. The average everyman can pick this up and find it enjoyable right out of the digipack fold case. The Age of Adz is like Heartland, but weaker and lack any subtly that made the strings and the electronic feel natural. People praised this back when it came out in the January of 2010, but then forgot all about it, so I feel that it's one of the more underrated releases from this year. It's a shame because this is fan-fucking-tastic.




2. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Let's get this out of the way:

CAN WE GET MUCH HIGHER
TOO MANY URKELS ON YOUR TEAM THAT'S WHY YOUR WINS LOW
CHOKE A SOUTH PARK WRITER WITH A FISHSTICK
NO ONE MAN SHOULD HAVE ALL THAT POWAH
PUT THE PUSSY IN A SARCOPHAGUS
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVEEEEEEE
FUCKIN' REEDICKULOS
FUCK WITH THE LIGHTS ON
YEEZY TAUGHT ME

I do not care if he's an egotistical douche, and even if I did, I would not pretend that it reflects the quality of his work. Kanye West is a fantastic producer and the most creative person in pop music today. We are going through the pop music ghetto age right now, probably the worst since the mid 90s when boy bands ruled. Yeezy is one of the few mainstream artists preventing modern pop from being complete shit right now. As a rapper, he's okay, but if anyone says he's a bad producer, they're talking out of their asshole. MBDTF may have dynamic and compression problems, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's his most original and ambitious work to date, which is hard to believe with him having four unique albums under his belt prior. He has released three amazing singles: Power, Monster, and Runaway. When MBDTF came out, you could almost hear everyone's jaw dropping when All of the Lights came on and it dropped again at Lost in the World. Many people who heard Blame Game on the 35-minute film Runaway and trashed it (such as myself) turned a 180 after hearing the full song, and then the album spawned yet another meme: YEEZY REUPHOLSTERED MY PUSSY. Great songs, thinking outside the box, and humorous: Things that modern day classics are made of.


AND THE NUMBER ALBUM OF THE YEAR IS.....



1. Salem - King Night

lol jk this is actually the worst piece of fucking shit I have ever heard in my life. Everyone who thinks King Night is a good album deserves to be shot.














BUT SERIOUSLY IT'S THIS:

1. Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

Holy fucking God FlyLo. I was not a very big fan of 1984 or Los Angeles, and I didn't care for this at first. I was like "What the fuck is this shit" the first two or three times I heard it, but it grew on me. A lot. Quickly. Too quickly, I would say. During my fifth listen, my view on the album was completely different, and then I listened to it at least once a day for the next three or four, exhausting it. Then a while later I came back and it was fresh again. Cosmogramma is a generous genre-bender, fusing dubstep, jazz fusion, breakbeats, chiptune, ambient, funk, hip-hop, baroque, and more. He has perfected everything that defined his past works. I don't know if he can top Cosmogramma, but I will enjoy seeing him try to best the number one album of 2010.

1 comment: